I’m about 1/2 way through the first month on the paleo diet and I would have to say that I’m impressed. I never thought I would see results this fast and it’s helping me in so many ways. Switching to paleo was inspired by reading books, the issues I was having with my health and online/offline discussions with Gluten Dude, ZenbellySF and Nourish123. No matter how much rest I was getting, I was never able to make it through the day without yawning all the time, feeling the urge to take a nap and red blood shot eyes. The last time I weighed myself was in October and in January I stepped on the scale 2o pounds heavier. I knew it because I felt it in my clothes. Friends asked me how it was possible because I was in the gym everyday but no matter how much you workout, if your diet isn’t the best, you will gain weight. Looking back at these last 14 days I can honestly say it was a great decision and I’m still hoping for better results.
I tried supplements (which did help some and I will continue to take them), breaks throughout the day, sleeping longer but the headaches and brain fog was still there and nothing made sense. I started doing more research, following more people that are living on a paleo diet and I figured it was time to get this thing started. So, January 1st 2013 began this journey and I’m pretty stoked about what’s going on. Here’s a summary….
- I haven’t taken a nap nor felt the urge for one. In fact most of my work days have been 12 hours or more and it has been a long time since I’ve done that.
- I’ve lost 5 pounds (my goal is 15)
- My strength in the gym has increased ten-fold
- I’m enjoying the food
- I’m feeling alive again and as far as I’m concerned the way it should be
- NO MORE HEADACHES OR BRAIN FOG
- I’m far more focused on my daily tasks
- My eyes aren’t red anymore
- My cravings for grains have gone away (this was rough for the first couple of days)
- It has curved my appetite and my portions aren’t large like they used to be.
As I continue to do my research, I’ve started to see a ton of incredible recipes that I would love to try and frankly they look amazing. My goal is to stick to this strict paleo diet for the entire month of January which includes no alcohol. However, I’ve talked to a few people about bringing certain foods back into my diet because I think it’s the grains that have caused most of my issues.
Will see what the next two weeks bring but for now I’m pretty happy with this decision and hope my energy continues to increase…..now if I could just get that sleeping thing to work too.